June 10, 2014

Rik Fucking Mayall

Lots of big things have happened around here during the last week, but not nearly enough to eclipse this tragedy. Rik Mayall died.


To say this guy was a big influence is just a way to understate how much of his formula I stole to concoct my own. He was a screenwriter (among other things), whereas my screenwriting efforts are weak, but his writing style is more patent in my novels and stories than that of many literary authors I admire. And that's thanks to comedians like Mayall, who taught me that jokes are worth including in every kind of work. Rik and his adorable colleague Adrian Edmondson showed me a whole form of humor. Their rhythm and physicality are academic models to me. I can recite some of Richie and Eddie's dialogues by heart. I hold the central minutes of the "Nasty" episode of The Young Ones as one of the biggest achievements in comedy EVER. "Yes, we've got a vi-de-o!!"

And above all, I cherish the memory of an interview with a 26-year-old Mayall who said there would be no more Young Ones (after only twelve episodes of one of the milestones of British comedy, mind you) because that was done already, "and we want to move on and do something else". Slow clap for you, Rik. You taught me a form of comedy, a code on how much further to go, and an attitude. Thank you.